Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Banka Boats and Pandanon Island


Since my last post, Im feeling much more settled. Ive only been in the Philippines for about a week and half, but it certainly feels weeks longer. Work is becoming more of a routine now which is nice, as it means that Im finding my feet. Been kept busy working on ideas, and trying to iron out structural issues with potential shows. Im about to start shooting today which Im looking forward to, as it will be great to have my hands on some good cameras again.

I’ve still not actually seen much of the city. Had a few forays into the edges at night, but no wondering around during the day. Im hoping to do this soon, as in that sense, I still don’t really have my bearings at all.

Over the weekend, we took a Banka Boat over to Pandanon Island which is a beautiful island about 40mins sail from Cebu. A banka boat is traditional Philippine sailing boat, effectively with stabilisers buttressing off the side of the vessel. You can sit at the front and have your feet hang into the water for a rather pleasant old time!

Pandanon itself is fairly small, you could probably walk around it in an hour. It is split into 2 halves. One part just white sandy beaches, palm trees and little beach huts, the other a large village with a lot of houses on stilts. Along the coast of the Philippines, there are a lot of houses built out into the water on stilts, they are built there to avoid land tax which is pretty smart, but in bad weather, I wouldn’t fancy taking up residence in one!

There was a large group of us on the boat and we had a grand beach day with a BBQ. We found so many starfish in the water, some little creamy coloured ones, and then larger pinkyish ones with brown spots. Unfortunately I miscalculated my skins immunity to the sun and I have been suffering from the woes of sunburn, so I was forced to stay out of the sun quite quickly.

At sunset we took the boat back to Cebu island. I was furious with myself for not having my camera, as it was the most incredible sunset. As we sailed away the sun set behind the island creating the perfect silhouette. The sky was pink and orange, and behind us the moon, which may, or may not have been totally full, was coming up. We drank some rum, listened to some tunes and had a pretty relaxing journey.

So apart from that little adventure, we have generally been being pretty well behaved. Im trying to husband my last stretches of cash before I get paid, and so Im watching a lot of films. I’ve discovered that Nat Geo Adventure is probably the greatest TV Channel in existence. I want to work on all the shows! Other viewing highlights include Sword of the Stranger (Anime with a great story and a cute dog), Submarine (the directorial debut of Richard Ayode which I thought we really well executed) and my new favouritist cartoon, Adventure Time – truly inspired programme making!

Also, packs of instant noodles are only 7pesos. Qu'est une bargain!

I promise to take my camera out soon and start showing how beautiful this place is. I am being an extremely lazy photographer *smacks back of own hand*

No comments:

Post a Comment